Start Here / Best Databases
- Web of Science - Indexes the world’s leading peer reviewed, journal literature in the sciences, social sciences, arts, and humanities and provides searching of cited references from 1900 to the present.
- TreeSearch - U.S. Forest Service publications.
- Urban Forestry Database - Index to publications relating to Urban Forestry.
- Google Scholar - Scholarly literature across many disciplines and sources.
- CAB Abstracts - Agriculture, forestry, animal health, nutrition, recreation and tourism, rural sociology, soils, and veterinary science.
Other Relevant Databases
For an overview of the Cycle of Scientific Communication click here: Scientific Communication.
For an outline of a Comprehensive Science Literature Review click here: Science Literature Review.
For tips on improving database search results click here: Improving Database Search Results.
- Academic Search Complete - 1975-present; Multidisciplinary index to journals and magazines; Some full-text articles.
- Agricola - 1970-present; Comprehensive index to agriculture and forestry (includes USFS research).
- Science.gov - Gateway to U.S. government science information.
Search specialized magazines and journals when looking for articles on your research topic. Some of the browsing examples to look at are: American Forests; American Nurseryman; Tree Planters Notes; Urban Forestry & Urban Greening.
To Browse Titles or Journals by Subject, click here: Mansfield Library Journals.
Browse or Search Ejournal Packages (note: Some allow keyword searching of article fulltext):
For an explanation of Popular vs. Scholarly (magazines versus research journals) click here: Popular vs. Scholarly.
For an explanation of Peer Review click here: Peer Review in 5 Minutes.
For an overview of placing article alerts click here: Article Alerts.
Consider various subject headings appropriate to your research topic when searching for books in catalogs. A partial list of headings to use are: urban forestry; trees in cities; community forestry; tree planting; vegetation management.
Book catalog resources:
- The University of Montana Catalog - All time periods: Books, Media, Government Documents, etc.
- WorldCat - All time periods; Library Union Catalog; Books, Media, Government Documents, etc.
- National Agricultural Library Catalog - All time periods, books, journal articles, media, government documents.
- Google Books - All time periods; Digitized books from library collections.
For search hints, take a look at: UM Catalog Help.
Main Dewey Decimal call numbers for browsing Urban Forestry materials in the Mansfield Library book stacks or library catalog: 635.9
For a more detailed view of Dewey Decimal call numbers click on: Dewey Decimal Classification Summaries
Main Government Document call numbers for browsing Urban Forestry materials in the Mansfield Library book stacks or library catalog: A 13
|Research Papers||A 13.78||(Initials of Station - Number of Paper)|
|Research Notes||A 13.79||(Initials of Station - Number of Note)|
|Resource Bulletin||A 13.80||(Initials of Station - Number of Bulletin)|
|General Technical Report||A 13.88||(Initials of Station - Number of Report)|
|U.S. Forest and Range Experiment Stations||Station Initials|
|Forest Products Laboratory||FPL|
|Intermountain Research Station||INT|
|North Central Forest Experiment Station||NC|
|Northeastern Forest Experiment Station||NE|
|Pacific NorthWest Forest and Range Experiment Station||PNW|
|Rocky Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station||RM|
|Southeastern Forest Experiment Station||SE|
|Southern Forest Experiment Station||SO|
|U.S.D.A., Forest Service, Washington, D.C.||WO|
See U.S. Forest Service Publications for more information.
Dictionaries, Encyclopedias & Handbooks
- Botanical Latin (580.14 S799)
- The Concise Dictionary of Botany (581.03 C744)
- Dictionary of Forestry (634.903 T319)
- Dictionary of Plant Toxins (615.952 D554)
- Dictionary of Wood Products Industry (674.058 H236)
- Encyclopedia of Agricultural Science (630.3 E56)
- Encyclopedia of Entomology - Online encyclopedia.
- Encyclopedia of Forest Sciences - Online encyclopedia.
- Encyclopedia of Horticulture (635.903 E93n)
- Encyclopedia of World Timbers (634.97 B778)
- Hortus third : A Concise Dictionary of Plants Cultivated in the United States & Canada (634.03 B155)
- Seeds of Woody Plants in North America (634.9562 Y73s 1992)
- The Literature of Forestry and Agroforestry (634.9 L776)
- Terminology of Forest Science: Technology, Practice and Byproducts (634.903 T319)
- Trees and Shrubs in Montana (582.1609786 T786)
- Wikipedia - An encyclopedia that is written & edited anonymously & collaboratively.
Web Sites - Meta Sites & Directories - Urban Forestry
- Agriculture Network Information Center
- Arboriculture, International Society of
- Botany - Virtual Library
- Entomology Index (Iowa State)
- The Gymnosperm Database
- Montana Dept. of Natural Resources & Conservation
- Plants Database
- Tree Link (Society of Municipal Arborists)
- Urban and Community Forestry (USDA)
- Urban and Community Forestry (About.com)
- Urban Forestry (Forestry Virtual Library)
Head, Access & Collection Services
Mansfield Library, The University of Montana
32 Campus Drive. #9936
Missoula, MT 59812-9936
406-243-6811; Office ML 327