Start Here / Best Databases
- GeoRef - Geology, earth science, hydrology, and paleontology literature.
- Bibliography & Index of Geology, 1933-1995 (550 X G345b - Lv.5)
- Bibliography of North American Geology, 1919-1970 (I 19.3/2 - Lv.1)
- Geological Literature of North America, 1785-1918 (I 19.3/2 - Lv.1)
- Google Scholar - Scholarly literature across many disciplines and sources.
- USGS Publications Warehouse (1880-Present) - Comprehensive index of USGS series, reports, maps, etc.
- Web of Science - Multidisciplinary index.
NOTE: older paper indexes include -
Other Relevant Databases
For an overview of the Cycle of Scientific Communication click here: Scientific Communication.
For an outline of a Comprehensive Science Literature Review click here: Science Literature Review.
For tips on improving database search results click here: Improving Database Search Results.
- Academic Search Complete - Multidisciplinary, full-text database.
- Business Source Complete - All subject areas related to business.
- Environment & Energy Publishing - Tracks environmental and energy action in Congress.
- Environmental Sciences and Pollutiion Management - Environmental science and pollution literature.
- Geography (SilverPlatter) - Physical and human geography.
- GeoScan - Canadian Earth Science NRC Publications.
- NTIS (National Technical Information Service - U.S. Government-sponsored research in scientific, technical, engineering, and business-related areas.
- OnePetro - Technical literature for oil and gas exploration and production.
- Science.gov - Gateway to U.S. government science information.
- SciFinder - Index to chemistry literature.
- Water Resources Abstracts - Literature covering the characteristics, conservation, control, pollution, treatment, use and management of water resources.
- Zoological Record (for paleontology) - Animal behavior, taxonomy, zoology literature.
Search specialized magazines and journals when looking for articles on your research topic. Some of the browsing examples to look at are: Advances in Water Resources; Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences; Earth Science Reviews; Geology; Geomorphology; Global Biogeochemical Cycles; Journal of Geology; Journal of Glaciology; Journal of Metamorphic Geology; Journal of Sedimentary Research; Palaios; Quaternary Science Reviews; Sedimentology.
To Browse Titles or Journals by Subject, click here: Mansfield Library Journals.
Browse or Search Ejournal Packages (NOTE: Some allow keyword searching of article fulltext):
- AGU Digital Library
- Annual Reviews
- SEG Digital Library
- SpringerLink Ejournals
For an explanation of Popular vs. Scholarly (magazines versus research journals) click here: Popular vs. Scholarly.
For an explanation of Peer Review click here: Peer Review in 5 Minutes.
For an overview of placing article alerts click here: Article Alerts.
- Basic Textbooks in the Geological Sciences
- Google Book Search - Snippet and full-text views of books as they are scanned by the Google Book Project.
- Roadside Geology Series
- Springer Ebooks - Academic ebooks, Fulltext (with pdf), from 2005 - present, in Behavioral Science; Biomedical & Life Sciences; Business & Economics; Earth & Environmental Science; Humanities, Social Sciences & Law; Mathematics and Statistics; and Physics & Astronomy
- The University of Montana Catalog - All time periods: Books, Media, Government Documents, etc.
- WorldCat - All time periods; Library Union Catalog; Books, Media, Government Documents, etc.
For search hints, take a look at: UM Catalog Help.
Main Dewey Decimal call numbers for browsing Geoscience materials in the Mansfield Library book stacks or library catalog:
- 549 Mineralogy
- 550 Earth sciences
- 551 Geology, hydrology & meteorology
- 552 Petrology
- 553 Economic geology
- 554 Earth sciences of Europe
- 555 Earth sciences of Asia
- 556 Earth sciences of Africa
- 557 Earth sciences of North America
- 558 Earth sciences of South America
- 559 Earth sciences of other areas
- 560 Paleontology; paleozoology
- 561 Paleobotany; fossil microorganisms
- 562 Fossil invertebrates
- 563 Fossil marine & seashore invertebrates
- 564 Fossil mollusks & molluscoids
- 565 Fossil anthropods
- 566 Fossil chordates
- 567 Fossil cold-blooded vertebrates; fossil fishes
- 568 Fossil birds
- 569 Fossil mammals
For a detailed view of Dewey Decimal call numbers click on: Dewey Decimal Classification Summaries.
Geological Society of America - Publication Series.
- Abstracts (550.6 G345a - Lv.5)
- Bulletin (550.6 G345b - Lv.5)
- Memoir (550.6 G345mo - Lv.5)
- Special Papers (550.6 G345s - Lv.5)
Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology - Publication Series.
- Annual Report (557.86 M8r - Lv.4- MT Collection)
- Bulletin (557.86 M8b - Lv.4- MT Collection)
- Publication Catalog (557.86 X M8p - Lv.4- MT Collection)
- Special Puclication (557.86 M8s - Lv.4- MT Collection)
U.S. Government Documents
- Library Catalog & GPO Monthly Catalog - Government Documents, 1976-present
- Cumulative Subject Index to the Monthly Catalog (015.73 X C9711, 1900-1971)
- Cumulative Title Index to U.S. Public Documents (015.73 X L642c, 1789-1976)
U.S. Geological Survey - Publication Series.
- Bulletin (I 19.3: plus the Report Number - Lv.1 Gov Docs)
- Circular (I 19.4/2: plus the Report Number - Lv.1 Gov Docs)
- Open-File Reports (I 19.76: plus the Report Number - Lv.1 Gov Docs)
- Professional Papers (I 19.16: plus the Report Number - Lv.1 Gov Docs)
- Water-Resources Investigative Reports (I 19.42/4: plus the Report Number - Lv.1 Gov Docs)
- Water-Supply Papers (I 19.13: plus the Report number - Lv.1 Gov Docs)
Dictionaries, Directories, Encyclopedias & Handbooks
- Alphabetical Mineral Reference
- Bibliography of Theses in Geology (550 C557b)
- The CRB Commodity Yearbook (338.0973 C7341)
- Dictionary of Geological Terms (550.3 A512g)
- Dictionary of Mining, Mineral, and Related Terms (622.03 D5546)
- Earth Observatory
- Earthquake Hazards (USGS)
- Earthquakes, Montana
- Earthquake Studies (MBMG)
- Encyclopedia of Hydrological Sciences - Covers the understanding and management of fresh water resources.
- The Encyclopedia of Igneous & Metamorphic Petrology (550.3 E56 v.5)
- The Encyclopedia of Mineralogy (550.3 E56 v.4)
- Encyclopedia of Earth
- Encyclopedia of Earth System Science (550.3 E566)
- Encyclopedia of Earthquakes and Volcanoes (551.203 R598)
- Encyclopedia of European & Asian Regional Geology (554 E5636)
- Encyclopedia of Geochemistry (551.903 E5642)
- Encyclopedia of Inland Waters - Online encyclopedia covering the biology, chemistry, geology, and physics of inland aquatic habitats worldwide at all scales from marshes and swamps to ponds, lakes, streams and rivers.
- Encyclopedia of Minerals (549.03 R648e)
- Encyclopedia of Ocean Sciences (Second Edition) - Online encyclopedia covering the biology, chemistry, geology, and physics of the oceans.
- Encyclopedia of Paleontology (560.03 E5645)
- Encyclopedia of Soils in the Environment - Online encyclopedia covering the biology, ecology, chemistry and physics of the world's variegated soils and their origins, properties, classification, and roles in the biosphere.
- Facts on File Dictionary of Earth Science (550 F1428)
- Geographic Names (Canada)
- Geographic Names (United States)
- Geologic Guidebooks of North America
- Geological Map Database (USGS)
- Geological Time Machine
- Geologists & the History of Time (550.9 X S245g v.1-5)
- Glosary of Geology (550.3 G244g)
- Ground Water Atlas of the U.S.
- Guide to USGS Geologic & Hydrologic Maps (557.3 X G946- Lv.1)
- Handbook of Physical Properties of Rocks (552.06 H236 v.1-3)
- InciWeb - Incident Information System - Flooding
- Information Sources in the Earth Sciences (550.7 X W874u)
- A Manual of New Mineral Names, 1892-1978 (549.03 M294)
- Map Locator (USGS)
- Mineral Industry Surveys (USGS)
- Minerals Information (USGS)
- Minerals Yearbook (USGS)
- Montana, Geologic Map
- Montana Water
- Montana Water Data
- Montana Water Information (NRIS)
- Montana Yellowstone Geologic Field Guide Database
- National Park Geology
- Natural Hazard Events
- Paleobiology Database
- Practical Handbook of Physical Properties of Rocks and Minerals (552 P895)
- Randol Mining Directory (338.2 R1921)
- Statistical Abstract of the United States - Statistics on social and economic conditions.
- Surf Your Watershed (USGS)
- Treatise on Geochemistry - Online reference work covering all major subjects in the field of geochemistry ranging from the chemistry of the solar system to environmental geochemistry.
- UN Water
- Visible Earth
- U.S. Bureau of Mining Publications, 1910-1994 (I 8.5 -Lv.1)
- U.S. Energy Information Administration
- The Water Encyclopedia (553.7 T633w)
- Water Resources Conditions (USGS)
- Water Resources of Montana (USGS)
- Water Resource of the U.S. (USGS)
- Wikipedia - An encyclopedia that is written & edited anonymously & collaboratively.
- Climate Data Directory
- Climate Information, Historical Western U.S.
- Climate Services (NOAA)
- Climatic Data Center, National
- Climate Office, Montana
- Montana Climate Information (NRIS)
- National Water and Climate Center
- U.S. Drought Monitor
- Western Regional Climate Center
- WINDandSEA: The Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences Internet Guide (NOAA)
Climatic Data for the World C 55.211 (Lv.1- Gov.Docs.)
Climatological Data. Montana Section.
- A 29.29/22:, 1902-1938 (Lv.1- Gov.Docs.)
- C 30.18/22:, 1939-1968 (Lv.1- Gov.Docs.)
- C 55.214/23:, 1969-1999 (Lv.1- Gov.Docs.)
Climatological Data. Missoula, Montana.
- C 30.56/22x:, 1942-1970 (Lv.1- Gov.Docs.)
- C 55.217:, 1971-1978 (Lv.1- Gov.Docs.)
- C 55.287/28-8:, 1979-1983 (Lv.1- Gov.Docs.)
- C 55.286/6-27:, 1984-1998 (Lv.1- Gov.Docs.)
Precipitation Data. Montana.
- C 30.59/211:, 1951-1966 (Lv.1- Gov.Docs.)
- C 55.216/21:, 1967-present (Lv.1- Gov.Docs.)
Web Sites - Meta Sites & Directories
- Canada, Natural Resources
- Earth Science (Virtual Library)
- Earth Science World (AGI)
- Geology and Geophysics (Yahoo)
- Geoscience Educators - SERC portal
- Geosciences: Selected Web Resources
- Glacial Lake Missoula
- Mineralogy and Petralogy Research on the Web
- Mineralogy Database
- Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology
- Montana Dept. of Environmental Quality
- Montana Natural Resource Information System
- National Geologic Map Database
- National Geophysical Data Center (NOAA)
- National Map
- Paleontology (Yahoo)
- Paleontology Portal
- U.S. Geological Survey
- University of Montana Department of Geosciences
Head, Access & Collection Services
Mansfield Library, The University of Montana
32 Campus Drive. #9936
Missoula, MT 59812-9936
406-243-6811; Office ML 327