Start Here / Best Databases
Other Relevant Databases
For an overview of the Cycle of Scientific Communication click here: Scientific Communication.
For an outline of a Comprehensive Science Literature Review click here: Science Literature Review.
For tips on improving database search results click here: Improving Database Search Results.
- Academic Search Complete - 1975-present; Multidisciplinary index to journals and magazines; Some full-text articles.
- CAB Abstracts - Agriculture, forestry, animal health, nutrition, recreation and tourism, rural sociology, soils, and veterinary science.
- Fire Ecology Database - Citations of fire ecology literature produced by the Tall Timbers Research Stations
- Fire Sciences Lab - Citation Retrieval System (CRS) - 1890-present; Comprehensive index to fire literature.
- Forestry Databases (University of Minnesota) - Index to publications relating to Forestry.
- Science.gov - Gateway to U.S. government science information
- Treesearch - U.S. Forest Service publications.
Search specialized magazines and journals when looking for articles on your research topic. Some of the browsing examples to look at are: Canadian Journal of Forest Research; Fire Management Today; Forest Ecology and Management; International Journal of Wildland Fire; Wildfire .
To Browse Titles or Journals by Subject, click here: Mansfield Library Journals.
Browse or Search Ejournal Packages (note: Some allow keyword searching of article fulltext):
For an explanation of Popular vs. Scholarly (magazines versus research journals) click here: Popular vs. Scholarly.
For an explanation of Peer Review click here: Peer Review in 5 Minutes.
For an overview of placing article alerts click here: Article Alerts.
Consider various subject headings appropriate to your research topic when searching for books in catalogs. A partial list of headings to use are: wildfires; wildfire; forest fires; fire ecology; fire management.
Book catalog resources:
- The University of Montana Catalog - All time periods: Books, Media, Government Documents, etc.
- WorldCat - All time periods; Library Union Catalog; Books, Media, Government Documents, etc.
- National Agricultural Library Catalog - All time periods, books, journal articles, media, government documents.
- Google Book Search - Snippet and full-text views of books as they are scanned by the Google Book Project.
For search hints, take a look at: UM Catalog Help.
For a detailed view of Dewey Decimal call numbers click on: Dewey Decimal Classification Summaries.
Dictionaries, Encyclopedias & Handbooks
- AccessScience - McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology
- Dictionary of Forestry (634.903 T319)
- Dictionary of Natural Resource Management (333.703 D926d)
- Encyclopedia of Environmental Biology (574.503 E56)
- Encyclopedia of Fire (363.3703 N561f)
- Encyclopedia of Forest Sciences
- Encyclopedia of World Timbers (634.97 B778)
- Fire Effects Information System - Plant & Animal Information
- Fire in North American Wetland Ecosystems...bibliography
- Forestry Glossaries
- References on the American Indian Use of Fire in Ecosystems
- The Literature of Forestry and Agroforestry (634.9 L776)
- Terminology of Forest Science: Technology, Practice and Byproducts (634.903 T319)
Web Sites - Meta Sites & Directories
- Active Fire Mapping
- Agriculture Network Information Center
- Canadian Interagency Forest Fire Centre
- European Forest Fire Information System
- Federal Wildland Fire Management Policy
- Fire Detection Maps
- Fire Information for Resource Management System
- Fire Management Employment
- Fire Potential Outlook - Geographic Areas - National Interagency Coordination Center
- Fires and Smoke
- Forest Fire in Canada
- GeoMAC Wildland Fire Support
- Global Fire Monitoring Center
- InciWeb (Incident Information System)
- Missoula County Air Quality
- Missoulian Wildfires
- Montana DNRC Forestry - Fire
- Montana Fire Conditions
- Montana Wildfire Smoke Updates
- National Interagency Fire Center
- Northern Rockies Coordinating Group
- Northern Rockies Coordination Center
- UM National Center for Landscape Fire Analysis
- United Nations FAO Forests and Fire
- U.S. Drought Monitor
- U.S. Forest Service Fire & Aviation Management
- U.S.F.S. - RMRS - Fire Sciences Lab
- Wildland Fire Restrictions
- WRAS - Wildland Fire Assessment System
Head, Access & Collection Services
Mansfield Library, The University of Montana
32 Campus Drive. #9936
Missoula, MT 59812-9936
406-243-6811; Office ML 327