Other Relevant Databases
For an overview of the Cycle of Scientific Communication click here: Scientific Communication.
For an outline of a Comprehensive Science Literature Review click here: Science Literature Review.
For tips on improving database search results click here: Improving Database Search Results.
- Academic Search Complete - Multidisciplinary, full-text database.
- Agricola - Agriculture, botany, forestry, grazing, range management, and Forest Service reports.
- Biosis Citation Index - Includes Biological Abstracts and provides comprehensive indexing of life sciences and biomedical research literature for journal articles, books, conference proceedings and patents.
- CAB Abstracts - Agriculture, forestry, animal health, nutrition, recreation and tourism, rural sociology, soils, and veterinary science. Access limited to 4 concurrent users.
- Fish, Fisheries & Aquatic Biodiversity Worldwide - Index to the fish and fish culture literature.
- OWL: Ornithological Worldwide Literature
- PubMed - Health and medical literature, plus dentistry, molecular biology, nursing, parasitology, and veterinary medicine.
- Science.gov - Gateway to U.S. government science information.
- SORA - Searchable Ornithological Research Archive.
- Wildlife & Ecology Studies Worldwide - Wildlife literature and Fish & Wildlife Service research reports.
- Zoological Record - Animal behavior, taxonomy, zoology literature.
Search specialized magazines and journals when looking for articles on your research topic. Some of the browsing examples to look at are: American Naturalist; Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics; Auk; Canadian Journal of Zoology; Condor; Conservation Biology; Ecology; Evolution; Journal of Animal Ecology; Journal of Evolutionary Biology; Journal of Mammalogy; Journal of Wildlife Management; Oecologia; Oikos; Studies in Avian Biology; Trends in Ecology & Evolution; Wildlife Society Bulletin; Wildlife Monographs. Wildlife Society Journals.
To Browse Titles or Journals by Subject, click here: Mansfield Library Journals.
Browse or Search Ejournal Packages (NOTE: Some allow keyword searching of article fulltext):
For an explanation of Popular vs. Scholarly (magazines versus research journals) click here: Popular vs. Scholarly.
For an explanation of Peer Review click here: Peer Review in 5 Minutes.
For an overview of placing article alerts click here: Article Alerts.
Book catalog resources:
- The University of Montana Catalog - All time periods: Books, Media, Government Documents, etc.
- Biodiversity Heritage Library - Digitized, historic, natural history literature.
- WorldCat - All time periods; Library Union Catalog; Books, Media, Government Documents, etc.
- Google Book Search - Snippet and full-text views of books as they are scanned by the Google Book Project.
For search hints, take a look at: UM Catalog Help.
For a detailed view of Dewey Decimal call numbers click on: Dewey Decimal Classification Summaries.
Dictionaries, Encyclopedias and Handbooks
- Birds of North America Online - Life histories of North American birds.
- Credo Reference - Encyclopedias, dictionaries, thesauri and books of quotations.
- Dictionary of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics (570.3 L738)
- Encyclopedia of Animal Behavior - Online encyclopedia.
- Encyclopedia of Ecology - Encyclopedia of general and applied ecology.
- Encyclopedia of Entomology
- Encyclopedia of Evolution (576.803 E5641)
- Encyclopedia of Genetics (576.5 E5642)
- Encyclopedia of Life - Information about all known species on earth.
- Encyclopedia of Molecular Biology (572.8 C914e)
- Encyclopedia of Theoretical Ecology (577.03 E5648 Lvl 5 Q Oversize)
- Endangered Species - U.S. - Information from the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service.
- Global Biodiversity: status... (333.9511 G562)
- Guide to Reference and Information Sources in the Zoological Sciences (590 X S3497g)
- The Encyclopedia of Biodiversity. Second Edition - Online encyclopedia.
- The Literature of Wildlife - A library guide.
- Montana Conservation Groups
- Wikipedia - An encyclopedia that is written & edited anonymously & collaboratively.
- Wildlife Conservation Environmental Directory
Legal, Legislative and News Information Sources
- Access World News - Research current and archived news content for information on topics, events, issues, people, businesses, and more.
- Environment & Energy Publishing - Tracks environmental and energy action in Congress.
- HeinOnline - Law Journals and full text access to full runs of the Federal Register, Statutes at Large, presidential documents, Congressional Record, Supreme Court opinions.
- LexisNexis Academic - News sources on all topics, business information, legal journals, medical topics.
- LexisNexis Congressional - Indexes Congressional publications 1789-present.
Web Sites - Meta Sites & Directories
- Animal Diversity Web
- Biology Browser (Biosis/Thompson)
- Biosciences - Virtual Library
- Botany - Internet Directory
- EcoEd Digital Library - Resources for Undergraduate Education
- Ecoinformatics: managing ecological data and information
- Ecological Society of America
- Ecology Teaching Resources
- Ecology WWW Page
- Ecology (Yahoo)
- History of Life (UC Berkeley)
- International Wildlife Media Center - Wildlife Films
- Merlot Learning Materials
- Montana Chapter, Wildlife Society
- Montana Fish, Wildlife, & Parks
- Montana Natural Heritage Program
- National Invasive Species Information
- National Wildlife Federation
- Species Occurrence Data
- Tree of Life - Phylogeny & Biodiversity
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service - Mountain Prairie Region
- USDA Natural Resource Conservation Service - Wildlife Biology
- USGS Biology Research
- Wildlife Databases Free on the Internet
- The Wildlife Sightings
- The Wildlife Society
Related Library Guides
Head, Access & Collection Services
Mansfield Library, The University of Montana
32 Campus Drive. #9936
Missoula, MT 59812-9936
406-243-6811; Office ML 327