Start Here / Best Databases
- Web of Science - Indexes the world’s leading peer reviewed, journal literature in the sciences, social sciences, arts, and humanities and provides searching of cited references from 1900 to the present.
- Google Scholar - Scholarly literature across many disciplines and sources.
- CAB Abstracts - Agriculture, forestry, animal health, nutrition, recreation and tourism, rural sociology, soils, and veterinary science.
Other Relevant Databases
For an overview of the Cycle of Scientific Communication click here: Scientific Communication.
For an outline of a Comprehensive Science Literature Review click here: Science Literature Review.
For tips on improving database search results click here: Improving Database Search Results.
- Academic Search Complete - 1975-present; Multidisciplinary index to journal and magazine and newspaper articles; some full text articles.
- Agricola - 1970-present; Comprehensive index to agriculture and forestry (includes USFS research).
- Business Source Complete - All subject areas related to business.
- Environment Complete - 1940's-present; Scholarly articles and books related to environmental issues and policy.
- Environmental Sciences and Pollution Management - 1967-present; Scholarly articles, books, conference proceedings, etc. related to environmental science.
- Forestry Databases - Forestry related databases from the University of Minnesota.
- FS Info - All time periods; Government Reports, books, conference proceedings, etc. related to forest recreation, etc.
- Science.gov - Gateway to U.S. government science information.
- SPORTDiscus - All time periods; Scholarly articles, books, conference proceedings, etc. related to sports, recreation, etc.
- TreeSearch - All time periods but mostly 1998-present; Forest Service research publications available online.
- Wilderness.net - All time periods; Comprehensive information about wilderness, stewardship, laws, agency policies, etc.
Search specialized magazines and journals when looking for articles on your research topic. Some of the browsing examples to look at are: Annals of Tourism Research; Biological Conservation; Conservation Biology; Environmental Ethics; Environmental Values; Environmental Philosophy; Environmental Management; International Journal of Wilderness; Journal of Ecotourism; Journal of Environmental Management; Journal of Heritage Tourism; Journal of Leisure Research; Journal of Sustainable Tourism; Leisure Sciences; Leisure Studies; Mountain Research and Development; Natural Areas Journal; Parks; Tourism Management.
To Browse Titles or Journals by Subject, click here: Mansfield Library Journals.
Browse or Search Ejournal Packages (note: some allow keyword searching of article fulltext):
For an explanation of Popular vs. Scholarly (magazines versus research journals) click here: Popular vs. Scholarly.
For an explanation of Peer Review click here: Peer Review in 5 Minutes.
For an overview of placing article alerts click here: Article Alerts.
Book catalog resources:
- The University of Montana Catalog - All time periods: Books, Media, Government Documents, etc.
- WorldCat - All time periods; Library Union Catalog; Books, Media, Government Documents, etc.
- National Agricultural Library Catalog - All time periods, books, journal articles, media, government documents.
- Google Book Search - Snippet and full-text views of books as they are scanned by the Google Book Project.
- Wilderness Themed Books
For search hints, take a look at: UM Catalog Help.
For a detailed view of Dewey Decimal call numbers click on: Dewey Decimal Classification Summaries.
Main Government Document call numbers for browsing Forestry materials in the Mansfield Library book stacks or library catalog: A 13
|Research Papers||A 13.78||(Initials of Station - Number of Paper)|
|Research Notes||A 13.79||(Initials of Station - Number of Note)|
|Resource Bulletin||A 13.80||(Initials of Station - Number of Bulletin)|
|General Technical Report||A 13.88||(Initials of Station - Number of Report)|
|U.S. Forest and Range Experiment Stations||Station Initials|
|Forest Products Laboratory||FPL|
|Intermountain Research Station||INT|
|North Central Forest Experiment Station||NC|
|Northeastern Forest Experiment Station||NE|
|Pacific NorthWest Forest and Range Experiment Station||PNW|
|Rocky Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station||RM|
|Southeastern Forest Experiment Station||SE|
|Southern Forest Experiment Station||SO|
|U.S.D.A., Forest Service, Washington, D.C.||WO|
See U.S. Forest Service Publications for more information.
Dictionaries, Directories, Encyclopedias & Handbooks
Web Sites - Meta Sites & Directories
- Agriculture Network Information Center
- American Trails
- BUG: Backpacker's Ultimate Guide
- Explore Nature (NPS)
- GORP Great Outdoors Recreation Page
- International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN)
- Missoula City Parks & Recreation
- Montana Fish, Wildlife, & Parks
- Montana Natural Heritage Program
- Montana Recreation Activities
- Montana Wilderness Association
- National Recreation Trails
- National Trails System
- Parks, Forests, Public Lands (GORP)
- Protected Areas (UNEP)
- Recreation and Leisure Studies (Sociosite)
- Recreation and Leisure Studies (Yahoo)
- Trail Journals
- UM Institute for Tourism & Recreation Research
- USDA Forest Service
- U.S. Department of the Interior
- U.S. National Marine Protected Areas
- U.S. National Wildlife Refuge System
- Water Trails
- Wilderness (Yahoo)
- World Commission on Protected Areas
- World Conservation Monitoring Centre (UNEP)
- World Heritage (UNESCO)
Head, Access & Collection Services
Mansfield Library, The University of Montana
32 Campus Drive. #9936
Missoula, MT 59812-9936
406-243-6811; Office ML 327