Other Relevant Databases
For an overview of the Cycle of Scientific Communication click here: Scientific Communication.
For an outline of a Comprehensive Science Literature Review click here: Science Literature Review.
For tips on improving database search results click here: Improving Database Search Results.
- ACM Digital Library - Computer science papers and publications.
- Academic Search Complete - Multidisciplinary, full-text database.
- arXiv.org - Research papers and preprints in physics, mathematics, computer science, nonlinear sciences, and quantitative biology.
- Dissertations, ProQuest Digital - Indexes doctoral dissertations.
- Jahrbuch Database - Covers mathematics literature published between 1868-1942 with links to digital collections.
- Zentralblatt Math - "The ZMATH Database contains about 2.9 million entries drawn from about 3500 journals and 1100 serials from 1868 to present."
Search specialized magazines and journals when looking for articles on your research topic. Some of the browsing examples to look at are: Journal of the American Mathematical Society; Annals of Mathematics; Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society; SIAM Review; Notices of the American Mathematical Society.
To Browse Titles or Journals by Subject, click here: Mansfield Library Journals.
Browse or search EJournal Packages (note: some allow keyword searching or article fulltext):
- Cambridge Journals Online - Cambridge University Press ejournals.
- JSTOR - Scholarly journals in the arts, humanities, social sciences, business, and sciences.
- Oxford Journals Online - Humanities, social sciences, and sciences.
- ScienceDirect - Over 1,800 science, technology, and medicine ejournals.
- SpringerLink - 1200 Springer ejournals.
- Wiley - Full-text articles from many subject areas.
For an explanation of Popular vs. Scholarly (magazines versus research journals) click here: Popular vs. Scholarly.
For an explanation of Peer Review click here: Peer Review in 5 minutes.
For an overview of placing article alerts click here: Article Alerts.
Book catalog resources:
- The University of Montana Catalog - All time periods: Books, Media, Government Documents, etc.
- Springer Ebooks - Academic ebooks, Fulltext (with pdf), from 2005 - present, in Behavioral Science; Biomedical & Life Sciences; Business & Economics; Earth & Environmental Science; Humanities, Social Sciences & Law; Mathematics and Statistics; and Physics & Astronomy.
- WorldCat - All time periods; Library Union Catalog; Books, Media, Government Documents, etc.
- Google Book Search - Snippet and full-text views of books as they are scanned by the Google Book Project.
- Historical Math Monographs - "The Cornell University Library Historical Mathematics Monographs is a collection of selected monographs with expired copyrights chosen from the mathematics field."
For search hints, take a look at: UM Catalog Help.
Main Dewey Decimal call numbers for browsing Mathematical Sciences materials in the Mansfield Library book stacks or library catalog: 510-519.
For a more detailed view of Dewey Decimal call numbers click here: Dewey Decimal Classification Summaries
Dictionaries, Encyclopedias & Handbooks
- Biographical Encyclopedia of Mathematicians (510.922 B6153)
- Biographies of Women Mathematicians
- Cambridge Dictionary of Statistics (519.503 E934c)
- CRC Concise Encyclopedia of Mathematics (510.3 W433c)
- CRC Standard Probability and Statistics: Tables (519.50212 C9119)
- Encyclopaedia of Mathematics Electronic (510.3 M425E)
- Encyclopedia of Biostatistics (610.72 E56)
- Encyclopedia of Mathematics
- Encyclopedia of Statistical Science (519.503 E56)
- Encyclopedia of Statistical Sciences - Update (519.503 E5647)
- Encyclopedic Dictionary of Mathematics (510.3 N691i.EM)
- Entropy on the Web
- Facts on File Dictionary of Mathematics (510.3 F1425)
- Fibonacci Numbers
- Handbook of Applied Mathematics (510.202 P361h)
- History of Mathematics Archive
- History of Statistics Material
- Knots on the Web
- Mathematical Thought from Ancient to Modern Times (510.9 K65mt)
- Notable Mathematicians: from Ancient Times to the Present (510.922 N8992)
- Notable Women in Mathematics: a Biographical Dictionary (510.922 N899)
- Planet Math - An online collaborative encyclopedia and virtual community.
- Prime Pages - Prime Numbers
- Websters New World Dictionary of Mathematics (510.3 K18c 1989)
- Wikipedia - An encyclopedia that is written & edited anonymously & collaboratively.
- The World of Mathematics - 4 vols. (510.82 N553w)
Web Sites - Educational Resources for Instruction
- Calculus on the Web
- Finite Mathematics and Applied Calculus
- Geometry Center
- Internet Resources for the Math Student
- Khan Academy
- Math Archives
- The Math Forum
- MathEduc Database
- Mathematics Resources on the Web
- Mathematics Web Sites Around the World
- Mathematics Lessons Database
- Merlot Mathematics Portal
- Merlot Statistics Portal
Head, Access & Collection Services
Mansfield Library, The University of Montana
32 Campus Drive. #9936
Missoula, MT 59812-9936
406-243-6811; Office ML 327