Skip to Main Content

Media Resources: Showing Media Outside Classes (PPR)

Guide to using media resources at the Mansfield Library

Quick Links to Guides

Showing Media Outside Classes (PPR)

I’ve been told that if I want to show a film on campus in the University Center’s Theater, I need something called “PPR”. What is “PPR” (or, Public Performance Rights)?

Any time you plan to screen/show a film to the public (“public” here meaning anyone attending a film screening/showing in an auditorium, theater, or any other kind of unrestricted open space, either indoors or outdoors)—irrespective of the film’s format or whether or not you are charging admission—you must first seek permission to do so from the film’s copyright holder(s). This permission comes in the form of a license from the rights holder called a PPR (Public Performance Rights) license

What does a PPR rights license look like?

It depends on who is issuing it. There is no standard format. However, typically the license itself is often a paper document issued by the rights holder (it might be sent by email or fax) stating explicitly the terms of the terms of the license including: the name of the person/company issuing the PPR license; the title of the film being screened/shown; the date and time of the screening/showing for which the license is valid; the name and address of the venue or location where the film is to be screened/shown; and the names of the person(s) or organization(s) to whom the license is issued.

Do I really need to get this PPR thing? It sounds like a hassle.

The only legal exception to the PPR requirement is if, for example, a University of Montana instructor is showing a film in class as part of his/her face to face teaching (i.e. as part of the course syllabus) to students in the class.  For more on the law itself, visit

Can I find out if a film the library owns already has PPR?

Some of the films currently in the Mansfield Library’s collection have been purchased with “PPR included.” By and large these are typically “educational,” “documentary,” or “small independent”-type films, but never “Hollywood”-type films (i.e. Napoleon Dynamite, or Brokeback Mountain).

Please ask the Visual and Performing Arts Librarian and Media Coordinator, Tammy Ravas (e-mail: tammy.ravas[at] or 406-243-4402) for information on the PPR status of an educational, documentary, or independent film in our collections. 

Can the library get the PPR license for me?

The Mansfield Library does not obtain PPR licenses for individuals or groups. The process of searching for PPR can be lengthy and time-consuming. Very often there is a charge associated with a PPR license; anywhere from $100-$900 per film per screening is not uncommon. Searching for and obtaining a PPR license (and any attendant costs) are always the responsibilities of the person(s) screening or showing the film. Please budget accordingly.

So how do I go about finding this PPR?

It’s best to begin your PPR research early—give yourself at least 2 weeks lead time before you plan to screen/show a film. You will be searching for contact information—a name, a phone number, an email, or a web address of the person(s) or company(ies) involved who control the copyright and/or the rights for the film.

Start with the film in hand, and examine the VHS tape or DVD itself (or its case/container):

  • Is there any indication of which film company, studio, TV network, or other entertainment corporation produced the film, or holds the copyright (look for the © symbol)? There may be several visible.

  • Is there a toll-free phone number or web address (e.g. visible? Contacting the owner or rights-holder directly in this way may lead to information about PPR.

You can also try searching online for more information. Try using Google, The Internet Movie Database, or Amazon to search for more information about the film; try to find contact information for the people or company(ies) that produced it. Be persistent!

In addition, there are several organizations that handle “blanket PPR licenses” for many of the major film studios, and are an excellent resource (again, keep in mind that you should expect to pay a PPR license fee):

Criterion Pictures, USA (800) 890-9494 /

Kino International ( 800) 562-3330 /

Motion Picture Licensing Corporation (800) 462-8855 /

New Yorker Films (212) 645-4600 /

Swank Motion Pictures, Inc (800) 876-5577

Finally, when you do obtain a PPR license for a film that you plan to screen/show from the Mansfield Library’s collection, make sure to reserve the film through the library’s online media booking form. This will ensure that the film is available to you, when you need it.


Visual and Performing Arts

Profile Photo
Tammy Ravas
Arts and Media Librarian and Copyright Coordinator


MLIB 323

Mansfield Library

University of Montana

Missoula, MT 59812-9936

Ph. 406-243-4402