1. Select a topic that genuinely interests you. Look at course readings, class notes, Google, Wikipedia, CQ Researcher or Credo Reference for initial ideas.
2. Consider the scope of your topic.
If it is too narrow, you might have trouble finding enough information.
If it too broad, you can be overwhelmed with information.
3. Turn your focused topic into a research question. It should be a question that will have a concrete, specific and measurable answer that has not already been definitively answered (you want to contribute something new to the discussion!).
Questions to guide the development of your research question:
Brainstorming keywords for your topic will help you refine your topic, find the most information about your topic and save you time by helping you search databases in a more efficient and systematic way.
(Why? Different authors will refer to the same concept in different ways. Having a comprehensive list of keywords to search will help you find more information about your topic in an efficient and systematic way!)
1. Pick out the main ideas in your research question. For example, the main ideas in this research question are in bold: “How does legalization of marijuana affect mental health rates in the United States?”
2. Take each of your main ideas and brainstorm as many synonyms, related words, acronyms, initialisms, and spelling variants as you can. For example, for "United States":
3. Do this for each of your main ideas. Searching all the variants you can come up with will give you a broader selection of relevant information. It might help to make a chart to keep track of which combinations you have searched for.
Visit the Information Center for research assistance from 9am-6pm Monday-Thursday, 9am-5pm Friday and 1pm-5pm on Sunday. Staff are also available during library hours to assist with your check out, interlibrary loan, or tech support needs. View the Mansfield Library hours.
Chat with a librarian by using the Chat box in the lower right corner of the screen.
Ask a Librarian. Messages will be responded to within 24-48 hours.
Follow us on Facebook.
The Mansfield Library provides a full suite of video tutorials to help you with topic selection, searching, citations, copyright and more.