Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

FAQ: Research & ScholarWorks

Q. Where can I find books or articles about . . .?

Use the library's OneSearch system or subscription databases to locate books or articles on your topic.

See OneSearch Tips for guidance on searching that system, and consult the Research Guides for recommended subject-specific databases.

Use keywords to represent your topic. Keywords are a series of key words that help you discover what information can be found in a particular article or book. Video tutorials on keyword and advanced search strategies explain how to develop a list of keywords and structure your search.

For further assistance, stop by the Reference Desk, call the Desk at 406-243-6866, or use the chat service or email a message with your specific question. The chat/email option appears in the lower right corner of the library web pages. The Desk, phone, and chat hours are 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday. Email messages are responded to from within 24-48 hours.

Q. What is ScholarWorks?

ScholarWorks is a collection of the published and unpublished research and creative scholarship of the University of Montana community. It gathers, showcases, and makes freely available these works for public utilization. It is a part of the Mansfield Library's services.

Do you need a secure place for your data or scholarship to live? Contact Wendy Walker, Digital Initiatives Librarian and manager of ScholarWorks and take a look at "who can contribute to ScholarWorks?". 

Q. How can I search University of Montana theses or dissertations?

There are two ways to do this.

  • Search ScholarWorks, the University's open access institutional repository, which includes over 11,000 UM graduate student theses, dissertations, and professional papers dating from 1899-present.
  • Search the ProQuest Dissertations and Theses Global database and use the "University/Institution" search field in the database to limit your results to publications by UM members (roughly 9,300 items).

Q. How do I get the full text of an article in PubMed?

PubMed contains over 29 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE and other sources. PubMed does not include the full text of journal articles; this is provided through outside sources.

A good practice is make sure you are set up to search UM’s library collections in PubMed so you can more easily obtain full text. This can be accomplished by accessing PubMed through the custom, institution-specific link posted to the library’s database page; look under 'P' to get to PubMed or go here.

Alternately, a user may add the University of Montana to their personal PubMed account under My NCBI>My NCBI Site Preferences. Find University of Montana-Missoula in the Outside Tool Preferences.

Once associated with the UM library, you should be able to view a maroon "University of Montana" button in the top right corner of a PubMed record, that is a pathway to check for article availability in the library’s collections. Note the button displays regardless of whether the library can supply the full text of an item.


Should the library be unable to locate a full text source for you, a link to an interlibrary loan request form will display for your convenience.


PubMed records often display logos/links to additional publisher sites, such as the black/white DeG logo next to the maroon "University of Montana" button in the screen grab above. These links may or may not provide access based on a number of factors. Some articles may be free to view, but others may require an institutional subscription or that the user be properly recognized with a NetID login. When in doubt, it’s best to use the "University of Montana" button to check for full text sources and to be properly authenticated for access.

More details about obtaining the full text of articles through PubMed is available here.

Q. How do I create a permanent link to a full text article?

You can create a permanent link from OneSearch. Click the article title from your OneSearch search results. On the resulting page under the article information you will see a "Cite & Send" section. Click the "Link/URL" link under that section. You will then see the permalink URL for the article, which you can copy and paste.

Some databases (e.g., Academic Search Complete) also have a permalink option.

Q. How do I access campus-access-only restricted content in ScholarWorks?

All current University of Montana students, staff, and faculty can access content that has been restricted to campus even when they are off-campus. To create an account, follow these steps:

  1. From the ScholarWorks home page select "My Account".
  2. Click the Sign up button under "Create new account".
  3. Complete the required fields and click the Sign up button.
  4. You will receive an email with instructions that tell you how to complete the sign up process. Follow those instructions. If you encounter any difficulties, please contact Wendy Walker.

Q. Who has access to ScholarWorks content?

ScholarWorks is an open access repository, which means content is available to anyone with access to the internet. Upon request from individuals, or based on publisher requirements, some content may be restricted for specific periods or limited to members of the University of Montana community. If you have a NetIDyou can create a ScholarWorks account to access restricted content.

Q. Who can contribute to ScholarWorks?

ScholarWorks accepts contributions from faculty, staff, and students affiliated with the University of Montana. Materials from students (such as theses, senior projects, and awarded research) are included on a case-by-case basis. Please review the ScholarWorks Policies or contact Wendy Walker for more information about the inclusion of student scholarship.

ScholarWorks will also accept materials from non-UM researchers that are produced in conjunction with a UM-sponsored event, such as a conference or lecture series. In these cases, each author must agree to the submission of their material.