Fall 2013 Workshops
Learn about the library and research processes and resources in a small group environment. In addition to the workshops being offered this semester, feel free to consult your liaison librarian for research guidance.
Going Electronic: Creating Accessible Course Materials for Instruction. Join Julia Jackman-Brink and Glenn Kneebone from the Mansfield Library for an interactive workshop on scanning and converting course materials for instruction with a focus on high quality, accessible documents. Bring sample course materials if you wish. This workshop is part of the Faculty Development Office’s Professional Development Series; RSVP at http://www.umt.edu/fdoevents.
- Friday, September 6, 11:10am-noon, Mansfield Library 284 Buckhous Room
- Thursday, September 12, 1-2pm, Missoula College Griz House 2
Graduate Students’ Guide to the Library. Learn how to navigate and familiarize yourself with library services and resources including subject librarians; collections and bibliographic management tools; circulation policies, Interlibrary Loan, and Document Delivery; study carrels and rooms; and teaching assistant support.
- Tuesday, September 10, 3:10-4pm, Mansfield Library 283 Student Learning Center
Institutional Review Board. Will you be conducting research with human subjects? This workshop, led by Paula Baker from the Office of the VP for Research and Creative Scholarship, will clarify what types of projects are required to be reviewed by the Institutional Review Board (IRB) and outline the steps needed to ensure a smooth and successful IRB application.
- Tuesday, September 24, 3:10-4pm, Mansfield Library 283 Student Learning Center
- Friday, October 11, noon-1pm, Missoula College Griz House 2
Expanding the National Profile of Your Research. Peter Goodwin, Publishing Services Coordinator from bepress, Mario Schulzke, UM Asssitant Vice President for Marketing, and Wendy Walker, Digital Initiatives Librarian, Mansfield Library, will discuss negotiating copyright transfer agreements and using UM's open-access repository and social media to bring your research to a wider audience. This workshop is part of the Faculty Development Office’s Professional Development Series; RSVP at http://www.umt.edu/fdoevents.
- Wednesday, September 25, 11:10am-12:30pm (includes lunch), Todd 203
Literature Review: Effective Searching and Writing Strategies. In collaboration with the Writing Center, this session will present a strategic approach to the literature review, including search techniques and writing strategies.
- Tuesday, October 1, 3:10-4:30pm, Mansfield Library 283 Student Learning Center
Manage Your Research with RefWorks. Hands-on workshop on how to utilize the bibliographic management tool RefWorks to organize your research, store citations, and create bibliographies.
- Tuesday, October 8, 3:10-4pm, Mansfield Library 283 Student Learning Center, or
- Saturday, October 12, 11:10am-noon, Mansfield Library 283 Student Learning Center
Data Management Plans. Join Scott Whittenburg, Vice President for Research & Creative Scholarship, and Mansfield Library Librarians to discuss tools, resources, and strategies for creating data management plans for proposals to NSF and other agencies. This workshop is part of the Faculty Development Office’s Professional Development Series; RSVP at http://www.umt.edu/fdoevents.
- Friday, October 25, 1:10-2pm, Mansfield Library 284 Buckhous Room
CANCELLED: Keep Current. Want to stay up-to-date on new research and trends emerging in your field? Find out about RSS feeds and Table of Contents alerts as well as saved searches and how to utilize these awareness services and database features to stay current in your research.
- Friday, November 1, 3:10-4pm, Mansfield Library 283 Student Learning Center
Join us by registering today. Registration is required to secure your enrollment and provide us with contact information in case of last minute changes: http://www.lib.umt.edu/forms/workshops. Walk-ins welcome if space is available.
Questions? Contact Kate Zoellner (243.4421 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
Previous Workshops have included:
- Business Series covering Company Information, Industry, and Marketing Resources, and Free Government Information.
- Copyright and Today's Technologies
- Copyright for Teaching and Research
- How Do I Stream Videos or Get Closed Captioned Videos for My Class? Led by Janet Sedgley, IT, Denise May, Disability Services, and Tammy Ravas, Mansfield Library.
- Identifying Funding with the Foundation Directory Online.
- Introduction to Archives and Archival Research.
- Plagiarism: How to Address Cases of Academic Misconduct and Try to Prevent Them from Happening in the First Place. Led by Rhondie Voorhees, Dean of Students, Megan Stark, Assistant Professor, Mansfield Library, and Kelly Webster, Director of the Writing Center. This workshop was part of the Faculty Development Office’s Professional Development Series.
- Promoting Information Literacy Skills: A Workshop on Designing Assignments and Activities for UM Writing Courses. This workshop was part of the Faculty Development Office’s Professional Development Series.
- Using the U.S. Census for Demographic Information.
- What the Library Can Do for You!
32 Campus Drive
Missoula, Montana 59812