Start Here / Best Databases
- Web of Knowledge Combined - Search Web of Science; Biosis; Medline; and Zoological Record combined.
- Treesearch - U.S. Forest Service publications.
- Google Scholar - Scholarly literature across many disciplines and sources.
- CAB Abstracts - Agriculture, forestry, animal health, nutrition, recreation and tourism, rural sociology, soils, and veterinary science.
- Agricola - Agriculture, botany, forestry, grazing, range management, and Forest Service reports.
Other Relevant Databases
For an overview of the Cycle of Scientific Communication click here: Scientific Communication.
For an outline of a Comprehensive Science Literature Review click here: Science Literature Review.
For tips on improving database search results click here: Improving Database Search Results.
- Academic Search Complete - Multidisciplinary, full-text database.
- AGRIS: International Information System for Agricultural Sciences and Technology - Reports, conference publications,and government publications covering agriculture, forestry, aquatic sciences and fisheries, and more from over 100 participating countries.
- Biosis Citation Index - Includes Biological Abstracts and provides comprehensive indexing of life sciences and biomedical research literature for journal articles, books, conference proceedings and patents.
- Business Source Complete - All subject areas related to business.
- ClimateWire - Coverage of the politics and business of climate change.
- Environment & Energy Publishing - Tracks environmental and energy action in Congress.
- Environment Complete - Environmental literature.
- Environmental Sciences & Pollution Management - Environmental science and pollution literature.
- Forestry Databases (University of Minnesota) - Index to publications relating to Forestry.
- Science.gov - Gateway to U.S. government science information.
- Water Resources Abstracts - Literature covering the characteristics, conservation, control, pollution, treatment, use and management of water resources.
Search specialized magazines and journals when looking for articles on your research topic. Some of the browsing examples to look at are: Canadian Journal of Forest Research; Forest Science; Forest Ecology and Management; Tree Physiology; Journal of Forestry; Forest Products Journal; Southern Journal of Applied Forestry; Agroforestry Systems; Northern Journal of Applied Forestry; Silvae Genetica; Wood and Fiber Science.
To Browse Titles or Journals by Subject, click here: Mansfield Library Journals.
Browse or Search Ejournal Packages (NOTE: Some allow keyword searching of article fulltext):
For an explanation of Popular vs. Scholarly (magazines versus research journals) click here: Popular vs. Scholarly.
For an explanation of Peer Review click here: Peer Review in 5 Minutes.
For an overview of placing article alerts click here: Article Alerts.
Book catalog resources:
- The University of Montana Catalog - All time periods: Books, Media, Government Documents, etc.
- WorldCat - All time periods; Library Union Catalog; Books, Media, Government Documents, etc.
- Google Books - Snippet and full-text views of books as they are scanned by the Google Book Project.
- National Agricultural Library Catalog - All time periods, books, journal articles,media, government documents.
For search hints, take a look at: UM Catalog Help.
Main Dewey Decimal call numbers for browsing Forestry materials in the Mansfield Library book stacks or library catalog: 634.9; 333.7
For a detailed view of Dewey Decimal call numbers click on: Dewey Decimal Classification Summaries.
Main Government Document call numbers for browsing Forestry materials in the Mansfield Library book stacks or library catalog: A 13
|Research Papers||A 13.78||(Initials of Station - Number of Paper)|
|Research Notes||A 13.79||(Initials of Station - Number of Note)|
|Resource Bulletin||A 13.80||(Initials of Station - Number of Bulletin)|
|General Technical Report||A 13.88||(Initials of Station - Number of Report)|
|U.S. Forest and Range Experiment Stations||Station Initials|
|Forest Products Laboratory||FPL|
|Intermountain Research Station||INT|
|North Central Forest Experiment Station||NC|
|Northeastern Forest Experiment Station||NE|
|Pacific NorthWest Forest and Range Experiment Station||PNW|
|Rocky Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station||RM|
|Southeastern Forest Experiment Station||SE|
|Southern Forest Experiment Station||SO|
|U.S.D.A., Forest Service, Washington, D.C.||WO|
See U.S. Forest Service Publications for more information.
Dictionaries, Encyclopedias and Handbooks
- AccessScience - Encyclopedia of Science & Technology Online
- Bibliography of Dendrochronology
- Botanical Latin (580.14 S799)
- Climate Data Directory
- Concise Dictionary of Biology (574.03 C744)
- The Concise Dictionary of Botany (581.03 C744)
- Concise Encyclopedia of Biochemistry (574.192 B864e)
- The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Zoology (591.03 C744)
- Concise Encyclopedia of Biochemistry (574.192 B864e)
- Dictionary of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics (570.3 L738d)
- Dictionary of Forestry (634.903 T319)
- A Dictionary of Genetics (575.103 K54d)
- Dictionary of Natural Resource Management (333.703 D926d)
- Dictionary of Plant Toxins (615.952 D554)
- A Dictionary of Zoology (590.3 L495d)
- Encyclopedia of Agricultural Science (630.3 E56)
- Encyclopedia of American Forest and Conservation History (634.9097 U1E5 Q Oversize)
- Encyclopedia of Biostatistics (610.72 E56)
- Encyclopedia of Ecology - Encyclopedia of general and applied ecology.
- Encyclopedia of Environmental Biology (574.503 E56)
- Encyclopedia of Entomology - Online encyclopedia.
- Encyclopedia of Forest Sciences - Encyclopedia of forestry and forest sciences.
- Encyclopedia of Horticulture (635.903 E93n)
- Encyclopedia of Hydrological Sciences - Covers the understanding and management of fresh water resources.
- Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plants (615.3203 C527)
- Encyclopedia of Plant Pathology (631 E563)
- Encyclopedia of Rainforests (578.73403 J939e)
- Encyclopedia of Seeds: science, techonology and uses (631.52103 E5646 Q Oversize)
- Encyclopedia of World Timbers (634.97 B778e Q Oversize)
- Environmental Issues in Pacific Northwest Forest Management
- Forest Encyclopedia Network
- Forestry Glossaries
- Forestry Handbook; also, paper copy available (634.9 F718)
- Forestry Handbooks (University of Maine)
- Forestry Images
- Global Biodiversity: status... (333.9511 G562)
- Historical Monographs in Botanical Sciences
- The Literature of Forestry and Agroforestry (634.9 L776)
- McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Environmental Science (304.203 M147)
- Montana Climate Office
- Mountain Pine Beetle in Montana
- National Climatic Data Center (NCDC) - Provides access to current and historical weather data for the U.S. 360 Search subject area: Federal Government Documents.
- National Invasive Species
- Natural Resources (333.703 N285)
- NatureServe Explorer: An Online Encyclopedia of Life
- Northwest Trees: identifying and understanding the region's native trees (582.1609795 A751n 2007)
- Plants Database
- Silvics of North America
- Silviculture Terminology
- Soil Classification
- Terminology of Forest Science: technology, practice and byproducts (634.903 T319)
- Threatened Trees (UNEP WCMC Species Database)
- Tree Guide
- Tree Species Range Maps
- U.S. National Forests and Grasslands
- Wikipedia - An encyclopedia that is written & edited anonymously & collaboratively.
- Wiley Encyclopedia of Environmental Pollution and Cleanup (628.5 M6138)
- Wood Collection
Statistics and Economics
- AgEcon: Agricultural Economics
- Agricultural Statistics, National Service (USDA)
- Canadian Forest Industries
- Directory of Forest Products
- Directory of Wood Products (674.058 H236)
- Environment Statistics
- FAO Agriculture & Forestry Statistics
- Forest Resources of Europe, NA...
- Interior West Forest Inventory & Analysis
- National Forestry Database (Canada)
- Production, prices, employment, and trade in Northwest forest industries, all quarters 2006 (A 13.80:PNW-RB-255)
- Public Land Statistics (BLM)
- Random Lengths, Yearbook
- State of the World's Forests
- Statistical Yearbook of the Western Lumber Industry (338.47674 S797)
- TAPPI Pulp & Paper Industry
- U.S. Forest Inventory and Analysis
- USDA Economics & Statistics
Web Sites - Meta Sites & Directories
- AgNIC: Agriculture Network Information Center
- Bibliography of Dendrochronology
- Botany Suggested Websites (BSA)
- Canada Natural Resources
- Canadian Forest Service
- Canadian Forests
- Dendrome - Forest Genetic Information Resources
- EROS - Earth Resources Observation and Science (USGS)
- Forest History Society
- Forest Protection
- Forestry (About.com)
- Forestry AgNIC
- Forestry (United Nations FAO)
- Global Forest Information Service
- IUFRO: International Union of Forest Research Organizations
- JSTOR Plant Science - Provides access to plant type specimens, taxonomic structures, scientific literature, and related materials with global coverage.
- Montana Conservation Groups
- Montana Department of Natural Resources
- Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks
- Montana Society of American Foresters
- National Forest Association - Information Links
- Native Forest Network
- Natural Resource Information System
- Natural Resource Manager - USFS Data
- Range Science Information System
- Rangelands West
- Silva Forest Foundation
- Society of American Foresters
- United Nations Environment Programme
- University of Montana College of Forestry & Conservation
- U.S. Forest Service
- World Resources Institute
- Yahoo Forestry
Head, Access & Collection Services
Mansfield Library, The University of Montana
32 Campus Drive. #9936
Missoula, MT 59812-9936
406-243-6811; Office ML 327