Start Here / Best Databases
- EBSCO Combined Search - Search Academic Search Complete; Business Source Complete; Environment Complete; OmniFile.
- Web of Knowledge Combined - Search Web of Science; Biosis; Medline; and Zoological Record combined.
- Google Scholar - Scholarly literature across many disciplines and sources.
- WorldCat - Catalog of materials in libraries worldwide.
- Google Books - Snippet and full-text views of books as they are scanned by the Google Book Project.
Other Relevant Databases
For an overview of the Cycle of Scientific Communication click here: Scientific Communication.
For an outline of a Comprehensive Science Literature Review click here: Science Literature Review.
For tips on improving database search results click here: Improving Database Search Results.
- Academic Search Complete - Multidisciplinary, full-text database.
- AgEcon - Scholarly Literature of Agriculture and Applied Economics.
- AGRICOLA - Agriculture, botany, forestry, grazing, range management, and Forest Service reports.
- Alternative Press Index - Alternative, radical and left periodicals, newspapers and magazines.
- Business Source Complete - All subject areas related to business.
- CAB Abstracts - Agriculture, forestry, animal health, nutrition, recreation and tourism, rural sociology, soils, and veterinary science.
- Environmental Sciences & Pollution Management - Environmental science and pollution literature.
- Environment Complete - Environmental literature.
- ERIC (Education Resources Information Center) - World's largest index to the literature of education.
- HeinOnline - Law Journals and full text access to full runs of the Federal Register, Statutes at Large, presidential documents, Congressional Record, Supreme Court opinions. Access provided by the UM Law School.
- OmniFile Full Text Mega - Multi-disciplinary database.
- PubMed - Health and medical literature, plus dentistry, molecular biology, nursing, parasitology, and veterinary medicine.
- Science.Gov - Gateway to U.S. government science information.
- SciTech Connect (USE DOE) - Energy related scientific and technical information collected by the U.S. Department of Energy.
- TOXLINE - Index of toxicology literature.
- Water Resources Abstracts - Literature covering the characteristics, conservation, control, pollution, treatment, use and management of water resources.
- Web of Science - Multidisciplinary index.
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts - Political science and its complementary fields: international relations, law, and public administration/policy.
- WorldWideScience.org - Federated searching of national and international scientific databases and portals.
Search specialized magazines and journals when looking for articles on your research topic. Some of the browsing examples to look at are: Annual Review of Environment and Resources; Agriculture and Human Values; Ecological Restoration; Environmental Education Research; Environmental Health Perspectives; Environmental Science & Technology; Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment; Journal of Environmental Education; Journal of Environmental Psychology; Journal of Rural Studies; Natural Areas Journal; Society & Natural Resources.
To Browse Titles or Journals by Subject, click here: Mansfield Library Journals.
Browse or Search Ejournal Packages (note: Some allow keyword searching of article fulltext):
- Annual Reviews
- Project MUSE
- SAGE Premier
- SpringerLink Ejournals
- Taylor & Francis Journals
- Wiley Interscience
For an explanation of Peer Review click here: Peer Review in 5 Minutes.
For an overview of placing article alerts click here: Article Alerts.
- The University of Montana Catalog - All time periods: Books, Media, Government Documents, etc.
- WorldCat - All time periods; Library Union Catalog; Books, Media, Government Documents, etc.
- Google Book Search - Snippet and full-text views of books as they are scanned by the Google Book Project.
For search hints, take a look at the following: UM Catalog Help.
For a detailed view of Dewey Decimal call numbers click on: Dewey Decimal Classification Summaries.
News & Current Events
- Access NewspaperARCHIVE - Collection of digitized historical and recent newspapers from US and other countries.
- Access World News: Research Collection - Research current and archived news content for information on topics, events, issues, people, businesses, and more.
- BNA Environment Reporter - A source of legal, regulatory, and business information for professionals. Coverage spans the full range of legal practice areas, including tax & accounting, labor & employment, intellectual property, banking & securities, employee benefits, health care, privacy & data security, human resources, and environment, health & safety. Access provided by the UM Law School.
- Bozeman & Great Falls Newspaper Index
- ClimateWire - Coverage of the politics and business of climate change.
- CQ Researcher Plus Archive - Original, comprehensive reporting and analysis on issues in the news.
- Environment & Energy Publishing - Tracks environmental and energy action in Congress.
- Environment News Service - Independently operated, daily, international wire service for issues and events affecting the environment.
- Environmental News Network - Online environmental news and knowledge resources for environmental science.
- Ethnic NewsWatch - Interdisciplinary database of non-mainstream viewpoints from the ethnic, minority and native press.
- GenderWatch - Women’s studies and gender studies.
- Google News - News headlines and events; also try archive search.
- Greenwire - Coverage of environmental and energy politics and policy.
- Lexis Nexis Academic - News sources on all topics, business information, legal journals, medical topics.
- Missoulian - Also try Advanced Search Options.
- Missoulian Index
- Mother Nature Network - News and information on environmental and social responsibility issues.
- New York Times Historical - (1851-2004) Full-text and full-image articles. Includes complete paper, cover-to-cover, with page and article images in downloadable PDF.
- Yahoo News - Top news headlines and current events.
Dictionaries, Encyclopedias & Handbooks
- AccessScience - online McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology.
- Beacham's Guide to Environmental Issues & Sources (363.7 B365)
- Encyclopedia of Agricultural Science (630.3 E56)
- Encyclopedia of Earth
- Encyclopedia of Energy Technology & the Environment (333.7903 E56)
- Encyclopedia of Environmental Analysis & Remediation (628 E56)
- Encyclopedia of Environmental Biology (574.503 E56)
- Encyclopedia of Environmental Ethics and Philosophy and (179.1 E5641)
- Encyclopedia of Environmental Issues (363.7003 E5636)
- Encyclopedia of Environmetrics (363.700727 E5641)
- Encyclopedia of Global Change (363.7 E563)
- Encyclopedia of Global Warming and Climate Change - Online encyclopedia.
- Encyclopedia of Human Biology (612.003 E56)
- Encyclopedia of Hydrological Sciences - Covers the understanding and management of fresh water resources.
- Encyclopedia of Inland Waters - Online encyclopedia covering the biology, chemistry, geology, and physics of inland aquatic habitats worldwide at all scales from marshes and swamps to ponds, lakes, streams and rivers.
- Encyclopedia of Ocean Sciences (Second Edition) - Online encyclopedia covering the biology, chemistry, geology, and physics of the oceans.
- Encyclopedia of World Environmental History (304.2 E5648)
- Environmental Encyclopedia (363.7003 E61)
- Information Sources in Environmental Protection (363.7 I434)
- Issues and Controversies Online - Provides information on more than 800 hot topics in business, politics, government, education, and popular culture.
- LEED Rating Systems - Information about Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) an internationally recognized green building certification system.
- McGraw Hill Encyclopedia of Environmental Science (304.203 M147)
- Opposing Viewpoints Reference Center - Controversial social issues and current events.
- Points of View Reference - Full-text essays that present multiple sides of a current issue.
- Resources on Oil Spills....A Selected Bibliography
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Digital Library - Scholarly articles dealing with all aspects of natural resources law published by the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation from 1955 to date. Access provided by the UM Law School.
- Statistical Record of the Environment (363.730973 D6959s)
- Wikipedia - An encyclopedia that is written & edited anonymously & collaboratively.
- Wiley Encyclopedia of Energy and the Environment (333.7903 E56)
- Wiley Encyclopedia of Environmental Pollution and Cleanup (628.5 M6138)
Legislation & Laws & Regulatory Information
- Federal: Environment & Energy Daily
- Federal: GPO Access
- Federal: Lexis Nexis Congressional
- Federal: Thomas
- Montana: State Legislature
- Montana: State Law Library of Montana
- Missoula: City of Missoula
Web Sites - Meta Sites & Directories
- Agriculture Networks Information Center
- Agriculture - VL
- American Solar Energy Society
- American Wind Energy Association
- Bioeconomy Blog (Biorenewable Fuels)
- Building Green
- Chemical ScoreCard (Environmental Defense Fund)
- Clean Energy (U.S. EPA)
- Climate Change in Mountain Ecosystems (USGS)
- Community Food & Agriculture Coalition (CFAC)
- Dam Removal Information
- Earth Trends (World Resources Institute)
- Ecolex - Environmental Law
- Economic Input-Output Lifecycle Assessment
- EElinked Networks
- Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (US DOE)
- Energy Information Administration - Statistics & Analysis
- EnviroFacts (EPA)
- Environmental Directories
- Environmental Health (CDC)
- Environment Statistics
- Environment Statistics (United Nations)
- Farm to School
- Food Climate Research Network
- Food & Water Watch
- Forestry AgNIC
- Green Energy (U.S. DOE)
- Greening UM
- Grow Montana
- Health & Environmental Research Online (HERO EPA)
- International Energy Agency - Statistics
- International Environmental Law (Georgetown Law Library)
- Montana Conservation / Environmental Organizations
- Montana Department of Environmental Quality
- Montana - Natural Resource Information System
- Montana Renewable Energy (MT DEQ)
- Montana State Website
- National Environmental Directory
- National Renewable Energy Lab
- National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service
- Natural Resources Defense Council
- Organic Food Production (USDA)
- Pesticide Action Network N.A.
- Science Tracer Bullets (Library of Congress)
- Sustainable Development - VL
- Sustainable Missoula (MUD)
- Undata - United Nations Statistics
- Urban Environmental Management
Related Library Guides
Head, Access & Collection Services
Mansfield Library, The University of Montana
32 Campus Drive. #9936
Missoula, MT 59812-9936
406-243-6811; Office ML 327