Start Here / Best Databases
Other Relevant Databases
For an overview of the Cycle of Scientific Communication click here: Scientific Communication.
For an outline of a Comprehensive Science Literature Review click here: Science Literature Review.
For tips on improving database search results click here: Improving Database Search Results.
- Agricola - 1970-present; Comprehensive index to agriculture and forestry (includes USFS research).
- Bibliography of Genetic Variation in Natural Populations - Conservation Genetics & Genetic Variation in natural populations of animals, plants, and microbes. There is a taxonomic bias in this bibliography towards fish, especially salmon, trout, and their kin.
- PubMed - Health and medical literature, plus dentistry, molecular biology, nursing, parasitology, and veterinary medicine.
- Wildlife & Ecology Studies Worldwide - 1935-present; Comprehensive index to wildlife literature (includes USFWS research).
Search specialized magazines and journals when looking for articles on your research topic. Some of the browsing examples to look at are: American Naturalist; Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics; Annual Review of Genetics; Biological Conservation; Biodiversity and Conservation; Conservation Biology; Conservation Genetics; Conservation Ecology; Ecological Applications; Ecology; Evolution; Evolutionary Biology; Genetics; Heredity; Journal of Evolutionary Biology; Journal of Heredity; Journal of Zoological Systematics & Evolutionary Research; Molecular Ecology; Nature Genetics; Trends in Ecology and Evolution.
To Browse Titles or Journals by Subject, click here: Mansfield Library Journals.
Browse or Search Ejournal Packages (NOTE: Some allow keyword searching of article fulltext):
For an explanation of Popular vs. Scholarly (magazines versus research journals) click here: Popular vs. Scholarly.
For an explanation of Peer Review click here: Peer Review in 5 Minutes.
For an overview of placing article alerts click here: Article Alerts.
- The University of Montana Catalog - All time periods: Books, Media, Government Documents, etc.
- WorldCat - All time periods; Library Union Catalog; Books, Media, Government Documents, etc.
- Google Book Search - Snippet and full-text views of books as they are scanned by the Google Book Project.
- Biodiversity Heritage Library - Digitized, historic, natural history literature
For search hints, take a look at: UM Catalog Help.
For a detailed view of Dewey Decimal call numbers click on: Dewey Decimal Classification Summaries.
Dictionaries, Encyclopedias & Handbooks
- Atlas of Mammalian Chromosomes
- Beacham's Guide to International Endangered Species (333.9542 B3656)
- Biodiversity & Conservation - Textbook
- Birds of North America Online
- Conservation Biology (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)
- A Dictionary of Ecology, Evolution, & Systematics (570.3 L738)
- Encyclopedia of Animal Behavior - Online encyclopedia.
- Encyclopedia of Entomology - Online encyclopedia.
- Encyclopedia of Evolution (576.803 E5641)
- Encyclopedia of Genetics (576.5 E5642)
- Encyclopedia of Global Warming and Climate Change - Online encyclopedia.
- Encyclopedia of Inland Waters - Online encyclopedia covering the biology, chemistry, geology, and physics of inland aquatic habitats worldwide at all scales from marshes and swamps to ponds, lakes, streams and rivers.
- Encyclopedia of Molecular Biology (572.8 C914e)
- Encyclopedia of Ocean Sciences (Second Edition) - Online encyclopedia covering the biology, chemistry, geology, and physics of the oceans.
- Endangered Species Program (USFWS)
- Federal Register - Find Status of Endangered Species Listing, etc. for particular species.
- Genetic Terms - Glossary
- Genetic Terms - Glossary
- Global Biodiversity: status... (333.9511 G562)
- IUCN Red List of Threatened Species
- Montana Animal Species of Concern
- Montana Plant Species of Concern
- National Invasive Species
- Species Database (UNEP)
- Species Information (NOAA)
- Species Occurrence Data
- Wikipedia - An encyclopedia that is written & edited anonymously & collaboratively.
Web Sites - Meta Sites & Directories
- Animal Diversity Web
- Biology Browser (Biosis/Thompson)
- Biosciences - Virtual Library
- Botany - Internet Directory
- Center for Biodiversity and Conservation
- Conservation Biology Institute
- Conservation Genetics (USGS)
- Ecology WWW Page
- Genetics - Virtual Library
- International Biogeography Society
- IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature)
- Montana Natural Heritage Program
- NatureServe: Conservation Information on plants, animals, & ecological communities
- Phylogeny of Life (Berkeley)
- Society for Conservation Biology
- Teaching and Education Resources - Conservation Biology
- Tree of Life - Phylogeny & Biodiversity
- World Conservation Monitoring Centre (United Nations)
Head, Access & Collection Services
Mansfield Library, The University of Montana
32 Campus Drive. #9936
Missoula, MT 59812-9936
406-243-6811; Office ML 327