Start Here / Best Databases
Other Relevant Databases
For an overview of the Cycle of Scientific Communication click here: Scientific Communication.
For an outline of a Comprehensive Science Literature Review click here: Science Literature Review.
For tips on improving database search results click here: Improving Database Search Results.
- Bibliography of Genetic Variation in Natural Populations - Literature of conservation genetics and genetic variation in natural populations.
- Biosis Citation Index - Includes Biological Abstracts and provides comprehensive indexing of life sciences and biomedical research literature for journal articles, books, conference proceedings and patents.
- GIDEON - Global Infectious Diseases & Epidemiology Online network is an interactive and comprehensive tool used for diagnosis and reference in the fields of tropical and infectious diseases, epidemiology, microbiology and antimicrobial chemotherapy.
- IndexCat - Index Catalogue of the Library of the Surgeon General's Office, 1880-1961.
- Pubget - Search engine for life-science pdfs.
- SciFinder - Comprehensive index to chemistry information and literature.
Search specialized magazines and journals when looking for articles on your research topic. Some of the browsing examples to look at are: Annual Review of Biochemistry; Annual Review of Cell & Developmental Biology; Annual Review of Microbiology; Cell; Cell Host & Microbe; Clinical Microbiology Reviews; Genome Biology; Molecular Cell; Journal of Biological Chemistry; Journal of Virology; Nature; Nature Medicine; Nature Structural & Molecular Biology; Nature Reviews Microbiology; Physiology; PLoS Biology; Science.
To Browse Titles or Journals by Subject, click here: Mansfield Library Journals.
Browse or Search Ejournal Packages (NOTE: Some allow keyword searching of article fulltext):
- American Society for Microbiology Ejournals
- Annual Reviews
- Journals @ Ovid Fulltext
- SpringerLink Ejournals
For an explanation of Popular vs. Scholarly (magazines versus research journals) click here: Popular vs. Scholarly.
For an explanation of Peer Review click here: Peer Review in 5 Minutes.
For an overview of placing article alerts click here: Article Alerts.
- The University of Montana Catalog - All time periods: Books, Media, Government Documents, etc.
- WorldCat - All time periods; Library Union Catalog; Books, Media, Government Documents, etc.
- Google Book Search - Snippet and full-text views of books as they are scanned by the Google Book Project.
- Bookshelf - Life science and healthcare.
For search hints, take a look at: UM Catalog Help.
For a detailed view of Dewey Decimal call numbers click on: Dewey Decimal Classification Summaries.
Dictionaries, Encyclopedias & Handbooks
- Bergey's Manual of Systematic Bacteriology
- Comprehensive Chemometrics - Online reference for chemical and biochemical data analysis.
- Encyclopedia of Bioprocess Technology (660.6 E5636)
- Encyclopedia of Evolution (576.803 E5641)
- Encyclopedia of Genetics (576.5 E5642)
- Encyclopedia of Microbiology - Online encyclopedia.
- Encyclopedia of Molecular Biology (572.8 C914e)
- Encyclopedia of the Human Genome
- Encyclopedia of Virology
- Genes and Diseases
- Kyoto Encyclopedia of Genes and Genomes (KEGG)
- NetAnatomy - Human anatomy instruction and learning resource.
- The Prokaryotes
- Volume 1: Symbiotic associations, Biotechnology, Applied Microbiology
- Volume 2: Ecophysiology and Biochemistry
- Volume 3: Symbiotic associations, Biotechnology, Applied Microbiology
- Volume 4: Bacteria: Firmicutes, Cyanobacteria
- Volume 5: Proteobacteria: Alpha and Beta Subclasses
- Volume 6: Proteobacteria: Gamma Subclass
- Volume 7: Proteobacteria: Delta, Epsilon Subclass
- Senses: A Comprehensive Reference - Over 300 articles covering the perception, psychophysics, and processing of sensory information, as well as disorders and new diagnostic and treatment methods, for all major sensory modalities: Vision, Audition, Olfaction & Taste, Pain, and Somatosensation.
- Talking Glossary of Genetic Terms (NIH)
- Tree of Life Web Project - Information about biodiversity, the characteristics of different groups of organisms, and their evolutionary history.
- Wikipedia - An encyclopedia that is written & edited anonymously & collaboratively.
Web Sites - Meta Sites & Directories
- American Society for Microbiology
- Bioinformatics Links Directory
- BioMed Central
- BRENDA - Enzyme information system.
- Computational Molecular Biology at NIH and Beyond
- Data and Analysis Tools
- Expasy Life Science Directory
- Genetics (Virtual Library)
- Genome Bioinformatics (UCSC)
- GQuery: Global Cross Database NCBI Search
- InfoMine: Biological, Agricultural & Medical Sciences
- Lipidomics Gateway (Nature)
- Microbiology Resources
- Microscopy and Imaging Resources on the WWW
- Molecular Databases (NCBI)
- Molecular Ecology Resources Primer Database
- National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI)
- OMIM Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man
- Patents (Google)
- Plant Genomics Resources
- Virology on the WWW
Web Sites - Educational Resources for Instruction
- Biodidac: Digital Resources for Teaching Biology
- BioEd Online
- DNA Learning Center
- ENSI / SENSI
- Genetic Science Learning Center
- Genetics Education Center
- Image and Video Library (ASCB)
- Microbe Library (ASM)
- National Association of Biology Teachers
- National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science
- Resources for Teaching and Learning Biology (AIBS)
- Scitable - Learning tool for Genetics and Cell Biology.
Head, Access & Collection Services
Mansfield Library, The University of Montana
32 Campus Drive. #9936
Missoula, MT 59812-9936
406-243-6811; Office ML 327