Before You Search
1. Select and understand your research topic and question.
2. Identify the major concepts in your topic and question.
3. Brainstorm potential keywords/terms that correspond to those concepts.
4. Identify alternative keywords/terms (narrower, broader, or related) to use if the first set of words doesn’t work.
5. Determine (Boolean*) relationships between terms.
6. Begin your search (e.g., in the library catalog, electronic databases, Internet).
7. Review your search results.
8. Revise & refine your search based on the initial findings.
*Boolean logic provides three ways search terms/phrases can be combined, using the following three operators: AND, OR, and NOT.
Books and Media
Search the Catalog to find books, media items (DVDs, CDs, etc.), government documents, maps, archival materials, and more at the Mansfield Library.
Search WorldCat to find materials located in libraries worldwide. Request items that the Mansfield Library does not own via Interlibrary Loan.
Use one of the following to locate books published before 1923 (no longer under copyright and freely available): Google Books, Open Library, Project Gutenberg, or The Universal Digital Library.
This guide is being updated! Check back at the end of May.
Full Text Databases
Access full text articles, reports, conference proceedings, systematic reviews, test reviews, and more.
Locate information about articles, reports, conference proceedings, systematic reviews, and more.
Use the main search box on the library homepage to search for access to a specific journal electronicially selecting E-Journals from the Search In pull-down menu.
Research journals published by the American Speech and Hearing Association (ASHA) include:
- American Journal of Audiology
- Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research
- American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology
- Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools
This document indicates where to search and find ASHA and NSSHLA journals.
Select other research journals of interest include:
Annals of Otology, Rhinology, and Laryngology; Clinical Linguistics and Phonetics; Ear and Hearing; International Journal of Audiology; International Journal of Speech Language Pathology; Journal of the American Academy of Audiology; Language and Speech.